Thursday, April 27, 2006

Dennis Byrne Is IN THE BUILDING!!!

Okay, yes, yes, yes, I am a nerd. But that's what this whole thing is about isn't it?

This morning as I gobbled my granola while listening to 'ol Bill Bennett, I noticed an Tribune editorial by a guy I hadn't read for years. He was a featured columnist in the Sun-Times during the mid 90's. Around that time the 'Times tossed me a mornin' paper gratis for weeks on end. It usually happened in the spring when the Bulls were making their championship runs, or in the fall when the... well nothing happened in the fall. Anyway, I think it was their attempt at the "puppy dog close" but they did it so often it turned into a case of me getting the milk for free. I never subscribed to the Times.

When I did read it, however, I always liked the sharp wit and original insights written in a column by Dennis Byrne. He always made me laugh or say "Damn, he got that right!" As time drifted on, Jordan retired (for real at some point) and the papers died down. I didn't see anything for Mr. Byrne years.

Stumbling upon him this morning, where he wrote an article for the Tribune about our post Kennedy habit of convicting every other Illinois governor, made me say "Damn, he got that right!" AGAIN! Then at the end of the article there was a listing of his current position as a Chicago area writer b'da, b'da, b'da... and his blogsite. Yes!!!

So I got excited, hopped in the shower and got ready for work then made some calls, and hopped on to his site. He could use some exposure, because he can really craft a word.

To be honest he was probably my favorite columnist (along with his late collegue Steve Neal) at that time, and has probably only been replaced by Mark Steyn (Chek da' blogroll) because I hadn' t seen anything from him.

Well now that he's back in the public eye, I'll be expecting a lot!

His Blog:
Dennis Byrne

Some of his columns:

Beatin' up on Da'Mayor

Sorry State of Illinois

Cowards We're not (Assessment on the WOT)

2 Comments:

At Thu Apr 27, 06:59:00 PM CDT, Blogger Dennis Byrne... said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thu Apr 27, 07:03:00 PM CDT, Blogger Dennis Byrne... said...

Wow. Thanks so much for the kind words. For the record, I left the Sun-Times and went to the Tribune in 2001. I've just started the blog, so I appreciate your spreading the word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home